Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Weekend.

*no spoiler content*
Imagine you wake up from a one-night-stand and realize you will need so many more night stands than that to be with each other. 



The movie is simply about two men, Russell and Glen, who meet at a gay club and spend a night for random sex. The next morning, Glen coaxes a hesitant Russell to speak into a voice recorder about their experience the previous night. Glen explains that the tapes is his art project seeking to explore the gap between who people truly are and who they want to be, as demonstrated by the personas they take on when hooking up with someone new for the first time. Thw two grow closer and closer after conversations till Glen reveals he planned to leave the country the next day. That's how the story begins.



I especially love the morning scenes, when they two talk in bed after making love the previous night. The feeling of exhaustion with your beloved is such a comfort, they talk, they fight, they kiss and they tenderly fall for each other. It's not cheesy, it's not fake. It's just a love story, plain and simple. And the best gay movie since Brokeback Mountain. Melt my heart tonight. 


Russell: Dad? I got something I need to tell you.
Glen: [pretending to be Russell's dad] What's that?
Russell: I'm gay.
Glen: [pretends to think] Hmm.
Russell: I like guys, not girls.
Glen: [breathes out slowly] Well. You know what, son. It doesn't matter to me. I love you just the same. And guess what?
Russell: What?
Glen: I couldn't be more proud of you than if you were the first man on the moon.








No comments:

Post a Comment